Thursday, June 30, 2011

gotta do what you love and love what you do

when it is possible, Lisa.

I want to remind myself again that when I take pictures I am really happy, even when I only get a few "good ones" that I am okay with. Even if I only got one at the end of the day, I should be happy with that.

Last week I went to the first summer baseball game. It was my first time to see my students play at the stadium. If they can do well till the very end, they will represent Okinawa and compete with other prefectures. Besides teaching at the International department, I also work with 150+ students from the Athletic department. No, I don't teach them sports. I team teach English with another Japanese teacher. These students have regular classes in the morning, and in the afternoon they practice for 4, 5 hours and try to win as many games as possible. Hardworking kids that love sports and are always tired during class hours. The baseball and Judo team at school have always done very well at different tournaments. This year's tennis and golf team are also doing well and participating games up in mainland Japan.

Last week was very sunny and I got tan from supporting them! It was fun to cheer with them and tried to follow them. For the past few weeks, I would go see them during lunch when the 1st year and 2nd year baseball students practice 30+ songs/cheers. I would try to go as many times as possible, because it's interesting to see how they behave and interact with each other outside of class. I adore these students, even though most of them are too shy to talk to me in English. I believe that we try to understand each other and didn't mean to make the other person unhappy most of the time. Really though, I wish I could speak the language or I wish they were better at speaking English. hehehe.










2 comments:

Polly said...

I didn't realize you posted, yeah it makes me happy when I get to read about your life. The pictures are great. It looks like the stands are only filled with baseball players. Do you think you want to continue to teach after you leave Japan? Remember how shy Nick was to speak English with Becky and I? When we saw him at your graduation he was much more confident. love you

MARCIE said...

What an amazing experience! I bet those boys are shy because all have a crush on you!