Thursday, December 16, 2010

Okinawa 101:ゴーヤ

Go-ya

In the Okinawan dialect, Nigauri is called Goya. 
It is said that the bitter taste of Goya is very refreshing in the heat of summer days. A famous yet simple Goya dish would be frying it with pork and eggs, called Goya Champuru. It probably is sold in all Okinawa restaurants. Also, goya is a rich source of vitamin C, and other nutrients that helps keeping the skin beautiful. Personally I think it's pretty bitter, but since it's healthy to the body, I should start eating more. :) 
Sources -  Wonder Okinawa and Digi-joho Tokyo

2 comments:

Becky Pitcher said...

That's very good of you. I never eat things I don't like, even if they're good for me.

Chris said...

I am with becky. If it is gross, boycott goyu. Strawberries have lots of vitamin c and they are delicious.